Are you just starting an exercise routine? Maybe you’ve been working out for years. Group fitness classes offer more than a room full of sweaty classmates and an overly enthusiastic instructor:
- Another human being will miss you if you aren’t there, unlike your TV or maybe even your faithful canine companion. Even if you aren’t at the top of your motivational game, you’ll feed off the energy of others and the time will pass before you know it.
- Proper form. While I appreciate Jillian Michaels, she has never once reached through the screen and corrected my form. In a group class, your instructor will not only demonstrate, but assist in corrections of form to prevent injury and insure you’re working the right muscle groups.
- Push it. It’s easier to keep going when you’re winded and worn out if there are others challenging and cheering you. Instructors can offer modifications to some routines so you’ll keep moving and build strength and endurance.
- Fun! You are more likely to stick with a routine if you’re having fun—and how could you not with great instructors and a variety of classes from dance to toning to meditation? We offer several classes throughout the day and week. Won’t you join one? Boot Camp, Turbokick, Interval Conditioning, Functional Training, Fit for Life, Group Cycling, Zumba, 2D Cycling, Cored Conditioning, Zumba Gold, Pilates, Flow Yoga, Water Aerobics, Tai Chi, Nia, Keys to Better Balance…it’s all here for you.
Classes begin in September. See our complete schedule, the 505.
One of the best ways to get mentally sharp for summer and fall classes is to exercise! According to Scientific American, AARP, and other sources, regular exercise boosts your mind by keeping your brain, heart, lungs, and muscles at high performance. Exercise also improves your mood and helps you handle mental tasks with greater ease.
So why not come back to Parkland this summer for low-cost exercise classes that keep your brain and body fit? Here are a few you’ll enjoy:
Five reasons to sign up for Core & More this summer:
1. Tone your tummy for swimsuit season!
2. Strengthen and stretch your back for gardening and yard work!
3. Improve your balance for safer walking, hiking, and outdoor activities!
4. Learn to stabilize your torso for better performance at your softball games (or be more comfortable sitting on those hard bleachers)!
5. Practice good posture for selfies and vacation photos!
Mondays @ 5:30pm
Fit For Life
It’s more than an exercise class…it’s practice for daily living! Strengthen your muscles for lifting and playing with grandchildren, improve flexibility for housework or yard work, improve balance for fall prevention. And do it to fun, familiar music with friendly classmates!
Tuesdays @ 5:30pm
“I don’t have any rhythm!”
“I don’t know how to dance!”
“I can’t keep up with the instructor!”
Not a problem with Zumba Gold! As long as you like to move (even if you think you’re not any good at it) and enjoy fun international music, you can do this low-impact version of the popular dance exercise program! There’s no right or wrong, no complicated steps to memorize, no judgment! Join the party!
Mondays @ 9:30am or Wednesdays @ 5:30pm
For more information, http://www.parkland.edu/communityed
Call Community Education at 217/353-2055 to register today!