Parkland College never performs fire drills, so any and all fire alarms that go off in our facilities are to be treated seriously. If an alarm goes off, safely and quickly find the nearest exit and proceed a safe distance from the building. Exterior speakers will advise when it’s safe to return inside.
Parkland has volunteer faculty and staff Floor Coordinators spread throughout our buildings and wings, who can be identified by their safety vests and flashlights. These individuals can assist you in locating the closest exit, as well as pass on information to emergency personnel if you require additional assistance.
Additionally, there are several Rescue Assistance Areas spread throughout the college that act as gathering points for individuals who need evacuation assistance in the event of a campus emergency. If you require assistance evacuating the campus in the case of an emergency, go to one of the following designated areas. Rescue personnel will check these areas in the event of a campus evacuation. If necessary, use the emergency phone to dial 911:
- A wing: 2nd floor near the elevator
- B Wing: 2nd floor, men’s restroom
- C wing: 2nd floor near the C-3 stairway (West side)
- D Wing: 2nd floor, restrooms
- L Wing: 2nd floor, women’s restroom
- M wing: 2nd floor near M109
- X Wing: 2nd floor, men’s restroom
- X Wing: 3rd floor, restrooms
- U wing: 2nd and 3rd floors (East stairwells)
- Library: Main floor (2nd Level), restrooms
[Ben Boltinghouse is a sergeant with Parkland’s Department of Public Safety.]
[Photo by Bill Friedrich for Champaign Fire Department.]