Bridge is stiil one of the most popular card games in the world, so there must be some FUN to it! Speaking of fun, here are seven fun facts you may not know:
- The card game of bridge evolved from previous trick-taking games dating back to the 16th century. The worldwide game had a surge in popularity in the United States in the 1930s.
- Strategic game play keeps memory active, the brain alert, and the body healthier: A study in 2000 at the University of California-Berkeley found strong evidence that an area in the brain used in playing bridge stimulates the immune system.
- Bridge enhances social life and nurtures partnerships – keys to healthy aging.
- Bridge. Beats. Boredom. You can play it online, with a few friends at home, or via a club or tournament.
- The average age of today’s competitive U.S. bridge player is 71.
- Business magnate, investor, and philanthropist Warren Buffett plays it: “Bridge is such a sensational game that I wouldn’t mind being in jail if I had three cellmates who were decent players and who were willing to keep the game going 24 hours a day.”
- And… at 96 years old, it’s never too late to be Athlete of the Week.
Learn the game of bridge from scratch or enhance your skills, with FUN classes from Community Education.