Parkland Career Services hosts a variety of employers on campus throughout the semester in the Student Union cafeteria hallway between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Employers are looking for Parkland students and alumni! Register for free on the College Central Network to view local, state, and national job postings in a variety of disciplines.
Don’t think you’re qualified for a position? The key skills listed below are qualifications you may not have thought about. You’ve likely had a chance to practice several of these in the classroom, through volunteer experience, or with jobs you’ve held.
- Communication skills that demonstrate verbal, written, and listening abilities.
- Computer aptitude based on the level required for the position being filled.
- Team spirit, which involves working cooperatively with a variety of people and treating others with respect.
- Basic math and reading skills.
- Interpersonal skills, allowing you to relate to diverse coworkers and manage conflicts.
- Organizational skills, so that you can plan and complete multiple tasks in a timely fashion.
- Problem-solving skills, including the ability to think critically and identify and solve problems.
- Flexibility and adaptability, to handle change in the workplace.
- Personal traits such as a positive attitude, motivation, integrity, honesty, and leadership potential.
- Dependability and a strong work ethic!
[Carrie Harris is a career counselor in Career Services.]