5 Reasons Why Everybody Should Play Guitar

1. It’s one of the world’s most popular instruments. Millions of people play guitar, so you’ll always have a friend to play music with or somebody to help you learn to play a little better.

2. A little guitar goes a long way. Learn how to play a few chords and a basic strum, and you’ll be able to play hundreds of songs.

3. It’s incredibly versatile. Guitar styles range from classical to heavy metal to country to jazz. Almost any music that you enjoy can be played on the guitar.

4. You can progress quickly. You can go from playing just a few chords and scales to more challenging music in a short period of time.

5. It makes you instantly more attractive. Just kidding, but according to the Internet, there might actually be some truth to that!

Are you ready to play guitar? MUS 164, Class Guitar, starts September 13 and meets Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6 to 7 through December 9. Beginners are welcome, as are more seasoned players who want to improve their playing.

We’ll explore a variety of musical styles from folk to rock to jazz, and build a solid foundation of overall musicianship studying guitar playing technique and music theory.

Register for MUS 164 at my.parkland.edu or contact Admissions at admissions@parkland.edu or 217/351-2482, or visit the Admissions Office in U214.

Young Kim teaches class guitar at Parkland and leads the Parkland Guitar Ensemble.

6 thoughts on “5 Reasons Why Everybody Should Play Guitar”

1. Hi Sandra,
      I’m so sorry, your comment got swept up by our overzealous spam filter! Were you able to get the information you needed?

1. I love music! It takes me to a different place that is peaceful. And guitar is something I want to learn since I was a kid. Hope to learn it one day. It really is cool when you know how to play one!

Cheers to good music!
    homeschool curriculum

2. Yes yes and yes!!!! I love playing my guitars, since i was a kid and my grandfather teach me the first leason. Regards!!!!

3. Totally agree, the world would be a much better place if everybody played a little music. Learning the guitar isn’t easy, but it’s also not hard to quickly grasp a few chords and play some songs. Very rewarding, too.