Parkland Women’s Soccer Prepares for 2016 Season

Parkland College Women’s Soccer is pleased to announce the incoming freshman class for the 2016 season.  Seven new recruits will join the 13 returning sophomores to start preseason on August 1st to defend the Cobras’ M-WAC title.  All seven hail from the state of Illinois and are expected to make serious contributions to an already successful team.

I am excited about this incoming group. It’s a fairly small class but filled with proven players who are going to step right into key roles on this team.  Having such a large, and successful sophomore class returning next season will help the incoming group get settled quickly and hit the ground running in August.

TozerBrooke Tozer joins the Cobras from nearby Charleston.  Primarily a defender, Tozer is really a versatile player, capable of slotting into a number of roles on the team.  “I wanted to be challenged and I know that Parkland is a great program and will help me to continue to get better,” she stated.

MerchantBrianna Merchant comes to Parkland from Troy, in southern Illinois.  An avid fan of the US Women’s National Team, Merchant is an experienced and imposing defender.  Prior to signing with the Cobras, she suffered a serious injury setback but has recovered unbelievably quickly and will be fit for the start of preseason training.  On her decision to join the Cobras, Merchant said, “I chose Parkland because I loved the atmosphere of the college, I’ve been looking forward to starting ever since I visited.”  She will be a part of the Parkland Pathways program as well.

HudspethDestiny Hudspeth joins Parkland from Springfield.  An attack-minded player, Destiny will be a strong addition to the Cobras’ offense, which has terrorized opposing teams for the past few seasons.  Describing Parkland as “a good school, with good soccer,” she looks forward to joining the team August 1.

YounkerClaire Younker, a native of Morton, joins the Cobras a versatile winger.  A strong and athletic player, Younker will be an asset to the team both defending and going forward.  On her decision to sign with Parkland, Younker said, “I chose Parkland because I like that it is a winning program and that I get the chance to be part of that tradition. I felt that Parkland was the place for me as soon as I visited the campus.”

BarriaAlso joining the Cobras from Springfield is Marissa Barria.  A true, box-to-box center midfielder, Barria is expected to make a major impact in an already strong center of the park for the Cobras.  She is a longtime fan of Catalan Giants and last year’s Champions League winner, FC Barcelona.

MossmanSydney Mossman joins the Cobras from Alton.  A very technical player, Mossman will make big contributions on the offensive side for the Cobras, and will play both as a center forward and an attacking winger.  Sydney had club success with St. Louis Scott Gallagher and is going to push for a key role behind the Cobras’ already established attackers.

MartinezAnd the Cobras’ last addition to the recruiting class, from Centennial High School in Champaign is Hannah Martinez.  Hannah just moved to Champaign last year, but was a key player in a very successful campaign for Centennial this past year.  A very athletic player, Hannah will play primarily in the holding midfield role, but will be expected to fit into a number of positions on the park.

Parkland College Women’s Soccer open their defense of the M-WAC title on August 28 at home vs. Maple Woods Community College of Kansas City, MO.

[Chris Jackson is the recently appointed head coach of the Cobras Women’s Soccer Team.]