The Parkland Career Center is hosting career-specific job fairs this spring. Keep these 10 key skills and qualities in mind as you approach today’s competitive job market:
- Communication skills that demonstrate verbal, written, and listening abilities.
- Computer aptitude based on the level required for the position being filled.
- Team spirit, which involves working cooperatively with a variety of people and treating others with respect.
- Basic math and reading skills.
- Interpersonal skills, allowing you to relate to diverse coworkers and manage conflicts.
- Organizational skills, so that you can plan and complete multiple tasks in a timely fashion.
- Problem-solving skills, including the ability to think critically and identify and solve problems.
- Flexibility and adaptability, to handle change in the workplace.
- Personal traits such as a positive attitude, motivation, integrity, honesty, and leadership potential.
- Dependability and a strong work ethic!
The following targeted career fairs will be held on the following dates, from 10am to 1:30pm in the Student Union Atrium:
- March 2 – Health Professions
- April 11 – Computer Science Information Technology/Business
[Carrie Harris is a career counselor in Parkland’s Career Center.]