Need help paying for spring semester? Parkland College Foundation Scholarships remain available for spring. The funds are there, just waiting for the right student to apply!
Currently available with a January 25 deadline:
- Latasha Brize Scholarship – $500
- Champaign County Nursing Home Scholarship – Amount varies
- Jay Downey Scholarship – $500
- Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 29 Scholarship – $1000
- Fisher National Bank Scholarship – $500
- Juanita L. Gammon Graphic Design Scholarship – $250
- Heartland Bank Community Enhancement Scholarship – $1000
- Lykins Family Art Scholarship – $250
- Theda Seaton Marley Single Mother Nursing Scholarship – $250
- Power of the Purse Scholarship – $1000
- Seymour American Legion Post 1256 Scholarship – $500
- Veterinary Technology Faculty and Staff Scholarship – $500
- Gayle Wright Memorial Scholarship – $500
You’ll find applications for these scholarships at my.parkland.edu. Log in to the portal and select “Scholarship Search” under the Student Services tab. You will be directed to a listing of all currently available scholarships. By selecting “eligible scholarships” from the drop down menu, you will also find a list that is more customized based on available scholarship criteria. The search feature is an excellent resource to find scholarships funded by the Parkland College Foundation. Scholarship information provided by external organizations is posted here as well.
Most scholarship applications require you to write an essay, but don’t be intimidated! The Center for Academic Success at Parkland offers a Writing Lab in D120 that is open and available to all students. You can receive free help from English instructors with any writing project you might have. For more information, visit D120 or log in to my.parkland.edu.
Want to broaden your search? Besides the Parkland Foundation, many reputable online resources for scholarships can help you as well:
- Fastweb (http://www.fastweb.com/)
- CollegeBoard (http://www.collegeboard.org/)
- Federal Student Aid Gateway (http://federalstudentaid.ed.gov/)
Keep in mind, most reputable scholarship organizations do not ask you to pay a fee to apply.
Planning for fall? Students must apply for financial aid every year … NOW is the time to apply for the 2016-2017 FAFSA available online at FAFSA.gov. In addition, Parkland College Foundation fall 2016 Scholarship opportunities will be available in the student portal beginning March 15!
[Tim Wendt is Parkland’s director of enrollment services.]