We critique a lot of resumes in the Parkland College Career Center (more than 600/year, but who’s counting?!). Here are the mistakes we see students make most often:
1) Wrong college name. Our college name is “Parkland College,” not “Parkland Community College.”
2) Your name doesn’t stand out. Enlarge and bold it!
3) Work experience isn’t stated in the right ‘tense’. If you’re no longer performing the work, you ‘did’ it. If you’re still performing the work, you’re ‘doing’ it.
4) You don’t list (or even know) your professional strengths. If you can’t sell your strengths, why should they hire you?
5) You don’t state your correct degree program. “Close enough” isn’t close enough.
Now that you’re armed with a better resume, want to know the hottest careers out there to get? You can pick up lots more information this Thursday, during Parkland’s Student-Parent Information Night. It’s 6 to 7:45 p.m. in Room U144. You can even sign up there to win money that can help you take courses leading toward that new career.
While you’re at it, stop by and visit us at the Parkland College Career Center (Room U238)…your partner from the start!